Thursday, November 1, 2012

Now, what happened "Last Friday Night?"

Hey KatyCats!
    Hope you all had a fun Halloween! In the spirit of fun, this post is going to be about Katy's most fun song: "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)". I loved this song right when I first got the "Teenage Dream" album, which was shortly after it came out. I loved this song even before it was popular. It's just really fun and a song you want to dance to.
    Katy's inspiration for this song is mostly truth. You can see the lyrics here to know what I'm talking about. This song is about when Katy went out to party with friends and woke up the next morning and wrote about what she remembered. Perry stated:
“There’s nothing better than an impromptu dance party with my friends. My track 'Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)' is a song about debauchery because I had one of those nights in Santa Barbara. We went out to this place called Wildcat and got crazy,” Perry admitted: “We had a couple of beers and danced until we died, then brought the party back to the hotel room.” She added: “Most of that song is actual truth, apart from the ménage à trois… unfortunately! But, yes, streaking in the park, that’s what we did, so we had to write a song about it the next day!”
Personally, I didn't know this until just now. I think that's kind of carzy. We don't really see the party girl side of Katy very often. But I think it's really cool that most of the song is based on truth from a crazy night with friends.
    The meaning of this song is not at all deep. Looking at the lyrics, it's pretty self explanatory and fits in with the "Teenage Dream" well. I mean, all teenagers love to party. So, this song really captures that aspect of teenage life.
    The video for this song is, I think, the most fun part about this song. It's totally 80's themed featuring Katy as her alter ego, "Kathy Beth Terry". The video shows Katy as a nerdy teenager with over-sized glasses and headgear. The video starts showing a very messy Kathy waking up in bed with a boy passed out next to her, and she has no memory of the night before. She goes online and finds pictures from the night before and is quite shocked. It then goes into a flashback of the night before where Kathy was playing Sudoku and went over to the house next door to complain about the noise. She's invited in and is given a makeover by Rebecca Black and the transformation you see above. Black tears off the headgear with pliers, waxes her upper lip, and dresses her in skin tight neon clothing. She gets the attention of the boy she wants and it becomes a total dance party. It's just a super fun and entertaining video. The party ends up moving to Kathy's house and she vomits from drinking too much and she ends up passing out next to the "jock" whose attention she had gotten. You can see the video on my music videos page.
    So, I am not totally sure if this post has a message. But I guess it's probably just to go out and have fun. Live life with no regrets. This is the time to have fun! So let's remember how great "Last Friday Night" and "this friday night...do it all again."
Love you all, KatyCats
-Autumn the Purrfect KatyCat


No comments:

Post a Comment