Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Does it Have to Be "Like the Movies"?

Hello KatyCats!
    This week, my two posts are going to be about a little thing called love.This set may actually go on  for more than just this week, though I am planning to do a little Halloween-type Katy posts as we get closer to my favorite holiday. But that's not what I am here to talk about! So, love is, I think, one of Katy's favorite things to write about. I know this can be said for any artist because it is a quite the topic to relate to, but I love the way that Katy does it. She makes you think about love. And for me, I think she makes you know what love feels like even if you've never been in it before. So, with that, I will get on with my topic of Katy's song, "Not Like the Movies".
    This song is (and this is all in my opinion) from the perspective of a teenage girl who finds herself pondering true love. It's about a girl who thought she was in love once but, "it didn't fit, it wasn't right" and that that was okay. It's a song about knowing that her true prince charming is still out there somewhere. So, I recommend you look here at the lyrics for this next part. There are always many ways to interpret songs, but this is my interpretation of "Not Like the Movies" I think this song is saying that, for you to truly be in love, it doesn't have to be stereotypical or movie-like. I think that love in itself is a fairytale, so your relationship doesn't have to look like one to feel like one. You don't have to have that Hollywood relationship for it to be right. Plus, love isn't always easy like in those movies. It doesn't always seem like a fairytale, and that's what this song is pointing out. It doesn't have to be "that way" for it to be love. But as long as you have that person in your life, and you know that when you met (even if it wasn't dramatic or anything) that they were going to change your life, then that's a fairytale in itself. You don't need cinematic moments (though they do happen) to be truly in love.
    I guess I'm kind of repeating myself a lot here, but the point is one that I feel I need to get across. It doesn't have to be like the movies, or like the fairy tales we read as children for it to be true love. We all have those special people out there just for each one of us, and even if at first things don't work out or it doesn't seem right or it's not "cinematic" like we expect it to be...we will all experience our own fairy tales. And sometimes love is hard and things don't work out how we plan them, but if he/she's the one, you'll know. "When he's the one, I'll come undone and my world will stop spinning. And it's just the beginning." Maybe it won't be a fairy tale for you, but the point is that it will be real, and real, true love is better than any fairytale or any movie that I can think of.

    Katy actually sees this song as a two-part song because she wrote the first part after her first tour, the "Hello Katy Tour". She was conveying feelings of knowing something that you didn't really know in the first part. The second part was one that she had written while she was dating Russel Brand who then later became her husband. She has said that this song was very special to her because in the first part it was a story she needed to tell and the second part made her so relieved because she was able to put all of her feelings into it.
    So, KatyCats, what I want to leave you with is not to be disappointed if the love you feel is not "fairytale-like" or "movie-like" because LOVE IS A FAIRYTALE! Don't give up on it! And wait for your "prince charming" no matter how he comes about because he will be worth the wait. Because even if that love isn't cinematic...it will be real.

Love, love LOVE, KatyCats!
-Autumn the Purrfect KatyCat

P.S. Here is the lyric video to this song!! Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment