Tuesday, February 19, 2013

"Ur So Gay... And You Don't Even Like boys..."

Hey KatyCats!
     So when I did my researching about Katy's past career-wise, I was inspired to talk about "Ur So Gay", not only because it was technically the "first single to be released" though only digitally, it also has a lot of controversy about it.
     The song was first released as a free digital download on the Capitol Records website on November 20, 2007. It was never expected to go big, and never did. It was mostly to get Katy introduced online and see what the reception of this song would be like. It was more of a novelty single.
     Basically if you look at the lyrics here, you can see that this song only really has one meaning. She's talking about a guy who is just really lame. He complains all the time, he isn't into the same things she is, he doesn't pay attention to her, he's narcissistic, and selfish. She is saying he's a straight guy who is so self absorbed that he can't handle her. It's a "boyfriend-skewering song" and nothing else. Katy Perry is really involved in gay rights and has a strong supportive stance. She would never right a song that was intentionally homophobic. In fact at the last Trevor Project's annual awards ceremony, she was given the hero award and had this to say:
 "The real heroes are the folks...at the call centers. (They're) incredibly inspiring. I grew up in a very intolerant environment. For a long time, I was told that people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or questioning were an abomination. As I've grown up, I've freed myself from the mindset.
There was some perspective growth in my family. I believe in change...believe that sexuality is fluid - nobody introduces me as, 'This is Katy Perry, she is straight.' I hope in the future that we will all grow beyond labels, beyond treating gays as a novelty friend group."
     Nonetheless, some critics see these lyrics as highly homophobic. I can understand this at first glance and I can understand this if you don't know who Katy is as a person and where she stands on things like this. But I don't think that writing a homophobic song is something that Katy would ever purposefully do.
      So, that's all there is for me to say on this one.  Katy has more love in her heart for the world than anyone I have ever known. She is loving and accepting of everyone. So don't let some possibly "homophobic" lyrics throw you off because that was never her intention.
Here is the video once again.

Love You, KatyCats,
-Autumn the Purrfect KatyCat

No comments:

Post a Comment