Tuesday, December 4, 2012

"You're hot, then you're cold..."

Hey KatyCats!
    So, yes today I am talking about the Katy classic, "Hot N Cold". I think probably everyone that I know knows this song, but if you don't, get ready to hear all about it! This was Katy's second big hit and it's from her "One of the Boys" album. Man, has she come a long way since then!
    So, as usual you can find the lyrics, here. I think this song is kind of straightforward. It's all about a guy who can't seem to make up his mind about anything but especially about whether or not he wants to be with her. They are an on-again-off-again couple, as seen in the lyrics "we fight we break up, we kiss we make up." He can't make up his mind about wanting to stay with her or leave-"you don't really wanna stay, no. But you don't really wanna go, oh." And it seems to me, like she's just kind of fed up, but at the same time, she still wants to be with him. It's a song about a lot of conflicting feelings, all put together in a fun, dance-y way.

    The music video to this song is just about my favorite part. It's set at a wedding where Katy says "I do" and her groom is about to take his vows and he runs. Katy and her bridesmaid backup team chase after him, all over. From showing up in tattered dresses with baseball bats, to Katy on a stage in red leather in a club, to in street clothes doing some break dancing. It really shows how fast girls can change clothes! And there's a surprise at the end of the video that you'll just have to wait and see.
    As for the inspiration for this song, there wasn't much I could find. I only found one statement that Katy stated in an interview that it was written about her early stages in her relationship with Gym Class Heroes singer, Travie McCoy.
    I don't think this song has a real life lesson in it, but if I had to come up with one, it'd be to not be like the guy Katy's singing about. Make up your mind, or don't make the other person keep having to put up with your roller coaster. And if you're the one dealing with it, tell that person, "Hey, until you make up your mind, we're going to take a break. If you decide you do want to be with me, then come get me." because you shouldn't have to be constantly worried about when that person's going to break up with you and get back together five days later. It's not fair to you, and it isn't worth it. You're worth more than that, every one of you. Everyone's a firework in their own special way.
Hope I helped someone!
Love you, KatyCats!
-Autumn the Purrfect KatyCat

P.S. You can find the "Hot N Cold" music video on my music video page!

No comments:

Post a Comment