Tuesday, January 29, 2013

"I'm Still Breathing"

Hey KatyCats!

    It's been a while! It feels good to write again, though. So this is another Katy song that isn't very widely known- "I'm Still Breathing". This song was on the "One of the Boys" album and a song that I adore. Its message is confusing to some. Some people seem to think that Katy is talking about suicide. To me, that seems a little dark and a little too shallow for her. I think this song is more about a relationship (as most songs are).
    So, you can find lyrics here and follow along with me. The lines "say something funny, say something sweet, but don't say that you loved me." are a clear indicator that this is about a dying relationship. It's about a love that she wants to save, but knows there is no hope. Here she's telling him not to say at her "funeral" that he loved her because she knows at that point it will not be true. He would be lying. I think it's also that those words would crush her at this point. She wants it to just be over. That's why she says the words "already lost our grip, best abandon ship".  And her message is really clear in this verse: "So as I write this letter, and shed my last tear, Know it's all for the better that we end this here, let's close this chapter, say one last prayer, but don't say that you loved me". She's crushed by the fact that this relationship didn't work out. She also didn't think that she would be able to live through her lose. She thought that nothing else in her life would matter- and she has discovered that this is a little true. That's where the line "I'm still breathing, but we've been dead for a while" comes in. She didn't think that that would even be possible. It's a very damaging thing for her, and yet she finds herself still breathing, still alive, still carrying on. It seems a somewhat confusing state to be in, and yet a definite one because there's nothing she could have done to save their relationship.
    I think that in this particular song there's sort of a message you have to figure out for yourself. Especially if you're in this kind of relationship. If you know it's falling apart and you know that there's nothing you can do to save it, then let it go. Because it's not worth the pain to keep pretending you can keep it up.
    Love you all, KatyCats,
-Autumn the Purrfect KatyCat


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Mr. Elkin! I appreciate it- I enjoy this assignment and I put a lot into it hoping to get a lot out of it :)

      Delete